Tags » 150 Years In 150 Days

1963: The search for more space

One of the Society’s big moves toward expansion in the 1960s was the purchase of the lot at 510 N. Market Street in Wilmington. For several years, the staff had conveyed the need for better collections storage than what the space in Old Town Hall could offer. 168 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1962: The Society professionalizes

By 1962, the Delaware History Society had three full-time staff members and two part-time staff members. In January of that year, the board elected to hire its first professional executive director for the organization. 186 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1961: Sally Farris joins the staff

As they approached their centennial year, the Historical Society of Delaware began planning for the future. In the letters and minutes of 1961, the board discussed staffing and storage needs. 212 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1960: Acquisition of Hannah Wolfe Burton’s diary

On March 4, 1960, the historical society acquired the diary of Hannah Wolfe Burton, a resident of Sussex County, Delaware during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. 188 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1959: The C&D Canal papers

In 1959, the Historical Society of Delaware received a sizable donation of materials related to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal from the estate of Walter Hall. 262 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1958: Ruthanna Hindes leaves the historical society

In 1958, Ruthanna Hindes, librarian for the Historical Society of Delaware, resigned her post to join the library staff at the Longwood Foundation. Hindes is most remembered for her work, … 187 more words

150 Years In 150 Days

1957: Delaware History retells the story of “Nancy”

The September 1957 issue of Delaware History featured an essay by Peter C. Welsh entitled, Merchants, Millers, and Ocean Ships: The Components of an Early American Industrial Town… 224 more words

150 Years In 150 Days