By 1875 John Williams decided that the time had come for a new and ample barn. Plans for the structure 60 ft. by 105 ft., and a full 60 ft. 475 more words
Tags » Bloomfield
About 1864 the family moved across the road to the brick shop so that a major addition could be added to their house. “With timber from their own woods and lumber from their own mill, according to plans made largely by themselves, Caleb and John tore down part of the old house and in front of the brick section built a most comfortable home provided with twelve rooms, a pantry and wash room, a spacious wood-house including an old-fashioned brick oven and smoke house, over which was a roomy storeroom. 108 more words
“The woods, barren of leaves, wrapped themselves around the house like a worn and frayed mother.”(page 12 of Emma Field, Book One).
While Caleb and the men of the district cleared the land that sloped to Trout Creek, they left a stand of 2 acres of sugar maples immediately to the west and the north-west of the house built in 1840. 220 more words