Tags » Naegleria Fowleri

Brain eating Amoebas!!! What is it like to be infected with Naegleria fowleri? #science

Roni Jacobson has written a scary/fun/entertaining/sad piece for Scientific American about what it is like to have your brain eaten by amoebas. The almost universally fatal infections are rare, and usually occur from swimming in warm fresh water (think Arizona). 99 more words


Summertime - visit your favorite swimming hole, be attacked by brain-eating amoebas

Kansas health officials are urging swimmers to take extra care in warm freshwater, which could be home to millions of microscopic killers.

A 9-year-old Johnson County girl is the latest victim of Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that lurks in warm, standing water.

252 more words

Expert: Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba Rare, But in Missouri Lakes, Ponds

ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - What are the chances of a brain-eating amoeba infection that recently killed a 9-year-old Kansas girl showing up in Missouri?

The girl died from what’s known as Naegleria fowleri. 221 more words


Brain-eating amoeba kills 9-year-old

A brain-eating amoeba that lurks in fresh water has prompted warnings from Kansas officials after it killed a 9-year-old girl.

Hally Yust was an avid water skier and spent the past few weeks swimming in several bodies of fresh water. 488 more words


N. FOWLERI AMOEBA kills young girl in KANSAS ~ WEST NILE VIRUS (WNV) reports from CA & OK ~ Unusual RABIES reports from GA & PA.

Kansas 07/11/14 KS Dept of Health & Environment: Media Release – fatal case of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) caused by Naegleria fowleri, a free-living… 625 more words

Viral Disease

9-Year-Old Girl Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba After Swimming in Lake

JOHNSON COUNTY, Kansas – A family is devastated and health officials are searching for answers after a 9-year-old Kansas girl died from a “brain-eating amoeba” after swimming over the Fourth of July weekend. 658 more words


Kansas records death from brain-eating amoeba

KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A Johnson County resident has died following an infection caused by an amoeba found in freshwater, according to the Kansas Department of Health. 478 more words