Have you saved seed from your vegetable garden or traded for seed during a seed swap? Have you provided space for them in your spring garden? 237 more words
Tags » Saving Seed
Many people are intimidated to harvest tomato seed. Nothing could be easier!! Select fruit from a desired variety that you have maintained by proper isolation distance or caging. 311 more words
There is no more popular vegetable (fruit) than the tomato. The seed is easy to save and well worth the effort!!
There are steps to follow when saving tomato seed. 499 more words
As heirloom vegetables, herbs and flowers are losing ground by an estimated 10,000 a year, seed saving has become a race for time and the home gardener has a place in this race. 579 more words
Why Use Isolation Techniques for Saving Seed?
- Goal – produce true to type seeds
241 more words
- Prevent unwanted cross pollination by isolation
- Seeds are collected from a number of plants of the same variety, protecting the variety’s genetic diversity (prevents the loss of a variety’s unique characteristics – i.e.
Start with an easy crop. Consider annual crops that mature in one season.
- Annuals are plants that grow, mature, set seed and die within one year. 260 more words
Nathan writes, “Why do you need to put bags on your veggies if you want to get their seeds?”
- First and foremost, blossom bagging is an excellent way to prevent pollinating insects from cross pollinating varieties from which you want to save seed. 488 more words