VMware has just announced that all their security hardening guides now have a new home. A single page that customers and partners can visit for all the latest hardening guides for vSphere and other VMware products. 56 more words
Tags » Security Hardening
There has been a lot of coverage over the past week about Anonymous’ Hardcore Charlie releasing some old 2003/2004 code of the VMware ESX Hypervisor on the Internet. 893 more words
- On Linux systems, put pre-login banner text in the files /etc/banner, /etc/issue, and /etc/issue.net; and the after-login banner in /etc/motd.
- For OpenSSH servers (e.g. on Linux systems), activate the banner use (by SSH/SFTP/SCP) by including following (uncommented) line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config: … 111 more words
At the moment there is no security hardening guide for vSphere 5, and the vSphere Compliance Checker is also not compatible with vSphere 5. Both will eventually be updated, but until then what can you do to ensure that your hardening configuration has been applied correctly? 204 more words
Generating password hashes
- Generating unix-style MD5 hash: openssl passwd -1 -salt QIGCa pippo
- produces: $1$QIGCa$/ruJs8AvmrknzKTzM2TYE.
- generating password hash using system’s native crypt() command: perl -e ‘print crypt(“pippo”, “\$1\$QIGCa”),”\n”‘ … 986 more words