This original film recording was made outside the U-Bahn station Hallesches Tor and at Belle-Alliance-Platz (Mehringplatz today) most probably on April 28th, 1945 after the 7th Guards Tank Division fighting under the 8th Guards Army of General Tschuikov crossed the Landwehrkanal (however, it is unlikely that they used the Belle-Alliance-Brücke to do so as the bridge was blown up by the SS troops prior to their arrival). 44 more words
Tags » TODAY IN KREUZBERG
On March 24th, 1849 the following streets were named in Berlin-Kreuzberg:
Mathieustrasse (used to connect today´s Lobeckstrasse with Alexandrinenstrasse)
Brandenburgstrasse… 46 more words
Prior to its re-naming this street used to be known as Kochstrasse. In 2008 and after some bitter court wrestling the eastern end of the almost 300-year-old thoroughfare (it was named after the master baker and local politician Johann Jacob Koch in 1734!) changed the address. 21 more words
The street connecting Anhalter Strasse Askanischer Platz and Luckenwalder Strasse (next to Gleisdreieck) is given its official, “grown-up” name: Schöneberger Strasse.
The name was actually older than the street itself – already more than a century before it was known as the “Road to The Old Schöneberg” – Schöneberg being a small town outside Berlin at the time. 61 more words