Tags » Union Jobs

Profit Economics & Income Inequality—America 2015

By Carol Driscoll

What is the meaning of the alarming growth in income inequality throughout the world? According to a recent report issued by the charity organization Oxfam, “by next year, the world’s wealthiest 1% will control as much of the planet’s assets as the other 99%.” About this, Winnie Byanyima, Oxfam’s executive director, asks… 995 more words

Labor Unions

Study Examines "High Road", Unionized Jobs in the California Solar Industry

A study released on November 10 by the University of California at Berkeley examines the environmental and economic impact of a boom in utility-scale solar electricity generation in California since 2010. 206 more words

Doing The Right Thing Can Leave You Lonely

Daily Prompt: Sink or Swim

Tell us about a time when you were left on your own, to fend for yourself in an overwhelming situation — on the job, at home, at school. 939 more words


Overeducated & Unemployed

What was that line y’all fed us when we were but knee high and tow headed, sitting cross-legged in the assembly hall with casts on our arms and a song in our hearts? 1,253 more words

Social Justice

Incomes Are Going Down

This election season, it’s a rare thing when the Presidential candidates agree, but they do agree on this:  even in an economic recovery, the manufacturing jobs… 494 more words

Living Life

We "Conquered the Bridge" in the Port of Los Angeles as summer is slipping away...

I have felt summer slipping from my grip for several weeks now. The university’s rhythms are in full swing, and even in still-summer-heat, I’m slowly accepting that fall is almost here. 665 more words


Helmets to Hardhats: Military Veterans Rebuild the World Trade Center

Thank you to all who have served, or are currently serving, in the military.

“Military veterans who were deployed after the 9/11 attack on America and the World Trade Center, gain employment in the building and construction trades through Helmets to Hardhats, and find themselves rebuilding the new World Trade Center.” 25 more words